Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Green Tip - Vinegar Fabric Softener

You may have heard that white vinegar can be used as fabric softener in the washing machine. I thought I would check it out and report on the results.

It works!

Vinegar is cheaper than commercial fabric softener; the clothes do not take on the smell of the vinegar; and vinegar can put less chemicals into the ecosystem.

As an added bonus, I left one load of clothes in the washer for two days and even though it was warm out, the clothes did not get the musty smell they get with commercial fabric softener.

Unfortunately, the clothes were staticky when they came out of the dryer, so I still have to use my one quarter dryer sheet for drying. There are green alternatives to those, which I will try the next time I find one that is reasonably efficient and cost effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment